The Summer Work Travel program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from university, to experience and to be exposed to the people and way of life in the United States.
Most participants typically work in non-skilled service positions at resorts, hotels, restaurants, and amusement parks. However, you should note that State Department regulations prohibit SWT visa holders from working in certain types of jobs.
If you are interested in the SWT program, click on the following Department of State link for official information about the SWT program:http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel.
The web page includes general guidance, frequently-asked-questions and contact info if you have questions. Because there are specific guidelines that must be adhered to when selecting a job and applying for a visa to participate in the SWT program, you should carefully read all the official guidance about the SWT program.
“J” visa holders have rights and protections under US Labor Law. Please view this video (or the French version) for more information.
How to Apply:
- First, you should find a sponsor who will help you find a job and provide you with a DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for the SWT program. You can also apply through a local agent, who must work with an accredited sponsor.
Making an appointment and filling out the application:
- Once you have the DS-2019, please visit www.ustraveldocs.com to schedule an appointment. Schedule your visa interview appointment as early as possible to allow time for any additional time required to process your application.
- Complete the DS-160 online application form (Your visa type is J1). You can find this form on this page:http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ma/ma-niv-ds160info.asp. Please be aware that even if someone else fills out this form for you, YOU are responsible for the information in it.
- Pay your SEVIS fee at least one week prior to the interview to ensure that it has time to register in our systems. Bring the SEVIS receipt with you to the interview.
You must bring all the following materials to your appointment:
- Participant Job Offer from SWT Program Sponsor and a copy of the contract with U.S. company
- Original DS-2019 form
- One 5×5 cm photograph on a white background taken within the last six months
- Current Passport (all previous passports if available)
- Certified copy or original BAC
- Transcripts from current full-time post-secondary accredited institution
- Proof of enrollment in full-time post-secondary accredited institution
- Bank Statements (prior three months) for applicant and/or financial sponsor
- Proof of medical insurance in United States