Giving Up Your Green Card

Filing an Abandonment of Status

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought before abandoning lawful permanent resident status.
Green Card holders who voluntarily wish to relinquish their Legal Permanent Status can no longer relinquish their status here at the Consulate in Casablanca. They are now required to file the Form I-407 by mail directly to the nearest USCIS International Office.

Where to File

Mail Form I-407 to the Eastern Form Center.

U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
P.O. Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

FedEx, UPS, DHL, or other express/registered deliveries:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
Williston, VT 05495

In very rare circumstances, a USCIS international field office or U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate without a USCIS international field office may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your LPR status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa. You may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject and return any unsigned form.

If you wish to travel to the United States as a visitor for a temporary stay, you must apply for a non-immigrant visa through the regular process AFTER you complete the I-407 Abandonment process. Please bring proof to your non-immigrant visa appointment that you have completed the I-407 process directly with USCIS. Do not schedule an interview for a non-immigrant visitor visa before completing the I-407 abandonment process.

Once the I-407 is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-resident of the US. In order to visit the U.S., you will need to comply with visa requirements for nationals of your country of citizenship.
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.