Boarding Foils

Lost, Stolen, Destroyed, or Expired Green Cards

United States laws impose penalties on airlines and other commercial carriers that bring an individual to the United States who is not in possession of a required passport or visa. If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) traveling overseas temporarily, you may ordinarily use a Permanent Resident Card (known as a Green Card) or a Reentry Permit, in place of a visa.

For instructions on how to replace a Green Card while in the United States, please click here.  Although it is not possible to obtain a new Green Card or Reentry Permit when you are outside the United States, you may be eligible for a travel document known as a Boarding Foil that will facilitate your return to the United States.

Obtaining a Boarding Foil

A Boarding Foil allows you to demonstrate to the commercial carrier that you are not required to provide a visa at the time that you apply for admission or otherwise seek lawful entry into the United States at a U.S. Port-of- Entry (POE). A Boarding Foil is valid for up to 30 days and is valid for only a single entry into the United States. Please note that a Boarding Foil is not a guarantee of admission to the United States. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will carry out all the required inspection procedures, including determining admissibility or ability to enter, upon your arrival at a POE.

Boarding Foil Requirements

You are eligible to apply for a Boarding Foil if you meet the following requirements:

  • You were lawfully admitted to the United States as an LPR or conditional LPR;
  • You have not lost LPR or conditional LPR status by removal from the United States abandonment of LPR or conditional LPR status;
  • You have traveled abroad temporarily, and without any intent of abandoning your LPR or conditional LPR status;
  • You wish to return to the United States after your temporary absence of less than a year with a Permanent Resident Card or two years with a Reentry Permit; and
  • You are not in possession of a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Reentry Permit (for example, your card or permit was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated).

Applying for a Boarding Foil

Step 1:  Pay the I-131A filing fee online.

Pay the filing fee using a credit or debit card or U.S. bank account through the USCIS online payment system. Be sure to read the instructions and ensure that you meet the above requirements before you pay.  The fee is not refundable regardless of the decision on the application.

Step 2:  Request an Appointment for an Interview

To request an appointment, please send an email message to

Step 3:  Prepare for and Attend the Interview

Please bring the following documents and other items to the interview:

  • A completed Form I-131A.
  • Copy of your payment receipt for the I-131A (i.e., a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page)
  • Unexpired passport with at least six months of validity remaining
  • Evidence of your U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status (i.e., passport showing an admission stamp to the United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident or a copy of your Green Card)
  • Evidence that you were in the United States within the last 12 months
  • Police report from when the card was loss or stolen. If police report is not available, you must provide a detailed explanation is required as to when and to whom you reported loss or theft of the card.
  • A recent color photo that complies with visa photo requirements.

Boarding Foils can only be processed during normal business hours on an appointment basis at U.S. Consulate General Casablanca. We cannot process Boarding Foil requests on weekends, holidays, after hours, or without an appointment. Processing time will depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of information and evidence you provide.


If you have an expired Green Card, you may not need to file Form I-131A in some instances. You may be able to board a commercial carrier to the United States without additional documentation if you are:

  • An LPR with an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date (and you have been outside of the U.S. for less than a year);
  • An LPR who has an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date and you also have Form I-797, Notice of Action, showing that you filed a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, or Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status (and you have been outside of the U.S. for less than a year). The Notice of Action extends the validity of the card for a specified length of time, generally one year; or
  • An LPR military service member or employee of the U.S. government (or an LPR dependent of such an individual) on official U.S. military or government travel orders, regardless of time outside of the United States.

Check with your airline or transportation carrier before you file Form I-131A because, in some situations, they may still refuse to let you board even if you are in one of the categories above. If this occurs, you will need to file a Form I-131A.