Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consular officers, in certain situations, can assist Americans abroad who are temporarily destitute because of unforeseen circumstances.  Americans who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Consulate General Casablanca by email at ACSCasablanca@state.gov, or by phone at +212 (0) 522 642 099.  Alternatively, family or friends in the United States can call the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services on your behalf at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours).

Consular officers can help destitute Americans by contacting family, their bank, or an employer to arrange for a transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, please see the Department of State’s webpage on Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad.

Most people can arrange for family or friends to send them money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call.  Funds sent through services such as Western Union or MoneyGram are typically the fastest and easiest.