Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

  1. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  2. Adoption

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Please note that U.S. Consulate General Casablanca can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Morocco. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.

To learn more, review the links below:

To apply for a CRBA in Morocco, your child must be under 18 years of age and must appear in person at the embassy or one of our nine consulates.  Generally, both parents must attend the interview.  To see if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship at birth see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship at Birth by a Child Born Abroad and Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST meet all the following criteria:

  • The child was born in Morocco
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • At least one parent was a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born
  • You can use a credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application
  • You are a biological parent of the child for whom you are applying for a CRBA

If you meet the criteria above, follow the steps below to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  1. To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  2. Once you have created a MyTravelGov account, you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist (English)/ (Arabic).
  3. Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca. Please schedule your appointment at least 72 hours after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.  Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the U.S. Consulate.
  4. Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

To apply for a Social Security card for your child, please fill out form SS-5.  

Please forward the following documents to the Federal Benefits Unit in Paris:

  • SS-5 form
  • Certified copy of the child’s U.S. passport
  • Certified copy of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certified copy of the American citizen parent’s passport

Please submit documents to the Federal Benefits Unit in Paris at the address below:

U.S. Embassy
Consular Section/Federal Benefits Unit
4 avenue Gabriel
75382 Paris Cedex 8

Notary services related to social security card applications are free of charge. To obtain certified copies of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and passports, please schedule a notary appointment online

Please note: The social security card will be mailed directly to the address you provide on the SS-5 form.

To replace or amend a CRBA, please visit the following link. 

We are here to help! For questions or concerns please contact