U.S. Mission Morocco
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Multiple Demonstrations
December 8, 2017
The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Morocco is aware that several groups have announced public protests following the U.S. announcement of a new policy with regard to the status of Jerusalem. We remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can be unpredictable and may escalate into violence. Due to possible demonstrations on Friday, December 08, 2017, after 12:00 noon, the U.S. Consulate General and Dar America in Casablanca will be closed to the public and for non-essential services. Normal visa and American citizen’s services will resume on Monday.
Social Media and Press reports indicate that several groups have called for protests against U.S. Government policies over the coming days, including at the following times and locations:
- Dec. 8 (time unknown) in Rabat in front of the U.S. Embassy
- Dec. 8 at 6:00 p.m. in Casablanca in front of the U.S. Consulate, Blvd. Moulay Youssef
- Dec. 8 at 7:00 p.m. in Larach at Tahrir Square
- Dec. 8 at 7:00 p.m. in Tetouan at Moulay El Mehdi Square (El Khessa)
- Dec. 8 at 8:00 p.m. in Casablanca at United Nations Plaza
- Dec. 9 at 4:00 p.m. in Casablanca in front of the U.S. Consulate, Blvd. Moulay Youssef
- Dec. 10 at 10:00 a.m. in Rabat Bab El Had (near the Ministry of Justice and continuing to Parliament)
It is possible that additional protests may occur throughout Morocco.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news and Social Media for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid protests and demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings.
For further detailed information regarding Morocco and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Morocco Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The U.S. Embassy in Rabat is located at KM 5.7, Avenue Mohammed VI, Souissi, Rabat and can be reached at 0537-63-72-00. Consular Services are located at the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca at 8 Blvd. Moulay Youssef. American Citizens Services can be reached at 0522-64-20-99 during business hours. For emergencies after hours, please call 0522-20-80-90 or 0661-13-19-39.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).