Location: Casablanca, Morocco
Events: The U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca would like to make U.S. citizens aware of two upcoming events in Casablanca that may attract large crowds.
1) Demonstration on Sunday, May 29
The Moroccan Social Front has called for a demonstration and march in Casablanca on Sunday, May 29 to protest high prices and social conditions. Organizers plan to gather at Victory Square (Sahat Annasr) in Derb Omar at 11:00 a.m. and then march through nearby neighborhoods. The exact route has not yet been specified. Although the protest is not directed at the U.S. government or U.S. citizens, even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
2) Soccer Match on Monday, May 30
A high-profile soccer match will take place at Mohammed V Stadium on the evening of Monday, May 30, with an expected start time of 8:00 p.m. Large crowds and heavy traffic, as well as street closures, could result in significant congestion and delays in the area. Many stores, restaurants, and cafés around Mohammed V stadium may be closed. In the past, some soccer fans have engaged in unruly behavior.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid Derb Omar and surrounding neighborhoods in the late morning and early afternoon on Sunday, May 29.
· Avoid the area around Mohammed V Stadium, Arab League Park tram stop, and the roadways in between them on the evening of May 30.
· Monitor local media for updates
· Avoid crowds
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings
· U.S. Embassy in Rabat
· State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates