Location: Morocco, countrywide
Event: Ramadan begins this week. In recent years, the Mission has observed a general increase in petty crime during this period, in particular an increase in pickpocketing, purse snatchings, and cell phone theft in local souks and markets. There is also a marked increase in reported traffic accidents during this period. American Citizens should remain vigilant while shopping and driving over the Ramadan period. Please note while the American Citizen Services unit at the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca will have limited public hours during Ramadan, Mondays – Fridays from 8:00am to 2:00pm.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert in public places.
- Carry proper identification at all times.
- U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca
0661-13-19-39 (after hours)
- The U.S. Embassy in Rabat
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1- 202-501-4444
- Morocco Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.