Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Rabat, Morocco (March 20, 2020)
Event: The Government of Morocco has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19: a “Health State of Emergency” will take effect as of Friday, March 20 at 6:00 p.m. until further notice.
The Morocco Ministry of Health confirmed 66 cases of COVID-19 in the country.
This includes a curfew between the hours of 6:00 pm and 6:00 am. During these hours, movement will be authorized for essential purposes only; individuals out of doors during these hours may be stopped by law enforcement or security officials and asked to justify their movement.
On March 16, the Government of Morocco announced that most public places, including cafes, theatres, gyms, and hammams will be closed until further notice. These restrictions remain in place. Between the hours of 6:00 am and 6:00 pm, residents are asked to remain in their homes except for essential trips such as to grocery stores, pharmacies, and work.
The Government of Morocco is authorizing essential movements via a permit that the government is distributing to citizens in their homes an available online at: http://covid19.interieur.gov.ma/assets/files/attestation_confinement_ar.pdf. The form must be countersigned by an authorized local government official.
American citizens traveling to Marrakech for evacuation flights organized by the U.S. Mission in Morocco are encouraged to carry with them a hard copy or soft copy of the email confirmation of their seat on a plane.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Morocco.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Consulate General Casablanca, Morocco
8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef,
+(212) (522) 642-099
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Morocco Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter